My Photo
Name:
Location: Mountain View, California, United States

thinking := [life, games, movies, philosophy, math, coding, pizza, &c.]

Thursday, October 19, 2006

dynamic broadcast

Despite my virtual vow of televisual non-observance, I must admit that I enjoy watching certain shows (such as Lost) when they can reasonably be viewed in a non-televised manner - i.e., without so many annoying commercials. Hence my disappointment that the new season of Lost has apparently been dropped from iTunes (anyone know why?) and instead shown with "limited commercial interruptions" for free via abc's website.

Would you like to try it out? Simply go to dynamic.abc.go.com. Wow, that's a great-sounding name. It just reeks of velocity. Fast! Moving! And let's not forget that abc is indeed the American broadcasting company, specializing in nothing but the large-scale distribution of audiovisual entertainment. Hence I cannot but help find it ironic that these streaming videos never work! Not only does the site not even load properly on my mac (in either firefox or safari), but every single time I have tried to watch a show (on my windows machine) it has failed at some point; in most cases, I was not able to watch more than a minute or two at a time. Due to a plethora of poorly-programmed applications, the complacent webviewer my question my complaining as mere quibbling. For comparison I ask you to imagine having to "reset" your television every few minutes because your show suddenly froze mid-frame not at all infrequently.

I assure you tis not my connection speed that's lacking. To confirm the fault of the server (as opposed to me, the client, or perhaps my connection), I dutifully wasted several hours of time watching clips of video game music and other equally utilitarian morsels streamed mellifluously via youtube.

Dude, abc: get with it!



Update (29 Oct 2006): Looks like Lost is back on iTunes! That's nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home