My Photo
Name:
Location: Mountain View, California, United States

thinking := [life, games, movies, philosophy, math, coding, pizza, &c.]

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

a 4-word conjunction

I will not have => I'll'nt've

In attempting to think of an example usage, I'm realizing that "have" in a conjunction is not arbitrarily the same as direct use of the word "have". (Btw I'm aware that that last period "should have" been within the quotes, but I consciously rebel against that particular illogic grammatical gristle.) Without a conjunction, I could easily say "I have to eat some pizza", but the phrase "I've to eat some pizza" somehow just doesn't sound right. Then again the very phrase "have to" (or even "used to") sounds a bit funny to my auricular palate. It is tempting to conclude that a "helping" form of a word may not be conjunctivized, but certainly we may do so with the word "not": He couldn't see very far with those zucchini slices on his eyeballs. We could even push the envelope with: She couldn't've eaten the entire pizza had she not covered his eyes with zucchini slices. My guess is simply that "have to" cannot be "split" by a conjunctionation.

Without further ado, the example:

I'll'nt've any pizza until thou remove these blasted slices zucchini whence mine squash-obstructed eyeballs.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this post. I also rebel against the usage of ending periods within quotes. That's just lame.

Aleks D. from back in da OSU dayz

1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home